Looking to breathe new life into your walls?
While few people would debate the aesthetic excellence of wall coverings over paint, we might be surprised to note that Wall Coverings have returned from the retro times.
Lifecycle analysis have also shown that wall coverings now last five times longer than paint, under normal usage conditions. Most wall coverings can retain their original beauty and performance characteristics for at least 10 years, whereas a painted surface must be cleaned more frequently to maintain its appearance, and generally requires repainting approximately every three years. While the initial investment may be higher, choosing wall coverings over paint can result in a savings of not less than 30% or more over time.
Modern wall coverings contain aesthetic appeal unmatched by painted surfaces. Consider painted surfaces in their various states as compared to wallpaper:
- Flat Color: One room, one color.
- Accent Wall: One room, one color except for one uniquely colored wall.
- Textured Paint: Paint containing a media to give it texture.
- Custom Paint: Mural designs using paint.
- Faux Finishes: Custom paint designs that add pattern and depth.
While most people are familiar with these major painting techniques, many are uninformed as to their counterparts in wallpaper. As well, few know of the unique features that one can obtain only with wallpaper.
- Flat Color: Though not particularly popular, there are single color wallpapers available.
- Accent Wall: Can be achieved by utilizing wallpaper on one wall.
- Textured Paint: There are many varieties of textured wallpaper from plain to ornate.
- Custom Paint: Wallpaper manufacturers have a wide variety of mural wallpaper.
- Faux Finishes: Most popular faux finishes have their wallpaper counterparts.
- Historic Aspect: Imagine a Victorian style house without wallpaper.
- Digital: Computer generated designs custom printed onto wallpaper.
- Photographic: Consider creating custom wallpaper using family photos.
- Bridging Material: Using this special blank wallpaper, one can eliminate the costly and messy removal and repair of an unattractive textured or damaged wall surface.
- Faux Surface: Applying an expanded textured wallpaper followed by paint is a way to replicate the look of an expensive intricate molding at a greatly reduced cost.
- Natural Surface: Discover the luxury of natural fibers on the wall such as jute, grass cloth, sugarcane or bamboo among others.
- Fabric Walls: Cover your walls with your favorite fabric. Fabric may be hung as it comes off the bolt or backed and coated for increased durability.
- Wood Surfaces: The application of wood veneer wall covering in a variety of species adds formality at a fraction of the cost of a traditional wood paneling.
Consider the functionality of various kinds of wall coverings:
- Electromagnetic shielding wall covering: Used in commercial applications to reduce the amount of electromagnetic interference associated with many industrial applications such as computer rooms.
- Deodorizing wallpaper: Wallpaper infused with charcoal particles which act as a natural deodorizer.
- Acoustic wall covering: Though traditionally associated with commercial applications, these are more commonly utilized in homes with expensive surround sound systems or home theaters. These wall coverings are specifically engineered to absorb sound energy.
- Glow in the dark wall covering: Create a funky black light environment with fluorescent wallpaper.
- Cork wall covering: Useful as either a bulletin board, a natural sound deadening material, a natural wall covering, a textured wall covering, or a combination of its many functions.
- Metallic or organic wall covering: Imagine the impact of real copper or mica flakes as a wall covering.
- Leather wall covering: Consider the unparalleled warmness that only be obtained with a leather wall covering.
Thus, from the soothing symmetry or ‘asymmetry’ of natural materials to the iconic couture of the fashion runway, wall coverings delivers the aesthetic attitude you would want in your space. You would also be doing your environment proud as most wall coverings guarantee the ‘green’ effect.